In order to become a member of Sock ‘n’ Buskin, a student must fill out a membership form and pay a $10.00 annual activity fee. Membership is open to any student in grades 9 – 12. Only members are admitted to the business portion of monthly meetings. Although membership in the club is encouraged, it does not guarantee a member an acting role or technical position. All Sock ‘n’ Buskin productions have open auditions, and any CRN student is welcome to participate.
To be a member in good standing, a member must also participate in the club activities each year, including special committee work like the Fall Festival, Activities Fair or School Store work. A member must also attend the majority of monthly club meetings.
It also makes the student eligible to earn points for awards and membership in the International Thespian Society at the end of the year.
What is the International Thespian Society?
The International Thespian Society (ITS) is an honor society for High school and middle school theatre students. Thespian troupes serve students in grades 9-12. A few famous ITS alumni include Tom Hanks, Val Kilmer, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, and Stephen Shwartz. Festivals are held annually at the district, state and national levels. Membership currently stands at approximately 100,000 student members across 4,700 schools. The one millionth Thespian was inducted in 1976 and the two millionth Thespian was inducted in 2009. As of 2017, there have been over 2.3 million Thespians inducted.
In order to be inducted to ITS, a student must meet the following requirements:
- You must be a paid member of Sock ‘n’ Buskin. Dues must be paid every year.
- You must attend the majority of monthly meetings.
- You must participate in at least 5 club activities. These include, but are not limited to:
Fall Main Stage Production, Winter Main Stage Production, Spring Main Stage, One-Acts or Freshman/Sophomore Project, Fall Festival, Activities Fair, School Store Sales, Clean up Day, Technical Theatre Workshops, and Community Service
- You must work at least 100 hours. Hours can be earned by working on productions either as an actor or crew, participating in club activities, and special projects from the Buskie board.
- Hours must be earned in at least TWO production categories (i.e. acting on one production, set crew on another or lights on one, publicity on another.)
- At least 10 hours must be earned on activities OUTSIDE of productions. These are called Committee Hours. Committee hours can be earned during activities such as Fall Festival, Activities Fair, School Store Sales, Clean up Day, Technical Theatre Workshop, and Community Service
7. You must work on at least TWO productions.
The following awards are given out at the Sock ‘n’ Buskin Banquet each spring. Each time a member meets all the requirements listed above, he/she will receive the following:
First time – Certificate
Second time – Sock 'n' Buskin T-Shirt
Third time (Juniors) – Sock 'n' Buskin Sweatshirt
Third time (Seniors) – Engraved Plaque
Fourth time – Engraved Plaque and Sock 'n' Buskin Golf Shirt
There are also several advisor awards that are given when a student exemplifies certain qualities or aspects of theater. These are not given out every year.