CARES STUDENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
CARES is a multi-disciplinary team of professionals who have been trained in the Student Assistance Process. It is the team's responsibility to gather information on possible student mental health issues, drug or alcohol use, depression, suicide ideation and at-risk behavior.
Below is the Mission Statement of the Pennsylvania Student Assistance Program
"The mission of the Pennsylvania network for Student Assistance services is to provide leadership for developing a safe and drug-free environment and mental health wellness in schools and communities across the commonwealth. Barriers to learning will be removed and student academic achievement will be enhanced through collaborative prevention, intervention, and post intervention services."
At Newtown Middle School, our team works with you and your child discretely and compassionately to restore his or her ability to learn and progress without distraction. It is important that you understand that although an administrator will sit on the team, the SAP team works independently of the disciplinary process. A SAP referral may occur after discipline has taken place or without disciplinary action. What is important is that it provides students and parents with access to resources that can remove the barriers to learning, thus enabling your child to achieve at his or her greatest potential.
Should your child be referred to the group, the procedure would be as follows:
1. A referral is made to the team by one of the following sources:
Teacher, staff member, administrator, peer, self
2. The referral is discussed at a CARES team meeting.
3. A team member is assigned the case.
4. DATA is gathered from teachers and other adults working with the student.
5. Team puts in-school supports into action for the student (ie. meetings with counselor, academic support, discussion with school psychologist.)
6. If necessary, an assessment is ordered through Lenape Valley(mental health) or the Council of Southeastern Pennsylvania(drug and alcohol)
7. After the assessment, these agencies will make a recommendation for treatment for your child if necessary.
It is important that you know the following about SAP Referrals at Newtown Middle School.
- Every referral is taken very seriously
- Every referral is handled discretely, confidentially and compassionately
- You and your child are the key factors in the process. Without your permission, the process cannot continue.
- It is our hope that you will never need to avail yourselves of this service, but should your child be referred, please know that it is in his or her best interest to follow the process.
- Your participation in every step of the process will result in your child's ability to thrive as a learner in middle school and in high school.