Topic 1 Practice Review
1. Water is a _____ molecule, which lends it to many important properties.
2. Compounds like H2O and CO2 would be ______, which compounds like C6H12O6 and C2H5O2N would be _____.
- nonpolar; polar
- polar; nonpolar
- organic; inorganic
- inorganic; organic
3. Due to maximizing the number of _____ bonds, solid water is actually less dense than liquid water
4. A macromolecule contains the elements C,H, and O. It is a polymer of hexagonal rings, and the elements come out to a ratio of ~1:2:1. Which macromolecule would this be?
- Nucleic acid
5. A monomer is to a polymer as...?
- a polysaccharide is to a monosaccharide
- a nucleotide is to nucleic acid
- a lipid is to a carbohydrate
- a protein is to an amino acid
6. Which of the following is not a part of an amino acid?
- amine group
- carboxyl group
- phosphate group
- radical (r) group
7. The "lock and key" model refers to
- dehydration synthesis
- monomers and polymers
- an enzyme and a substrate
8. Hydrolysis involves the _____ of water to _____ a polymer.
- removal; break up
- removal; build
- addition; break up
- addition; build DNA
9. Glucose, a carbohydrate monomer, would be referred to as a(n)
- amino acid
10. Biological protein catalysts speed up reactions by
- lowering activation energy
- increasing the reaction temperature
- decreasing the amount of reactant collisions
- all of the above
A, D, B, A, B, C, C, C, B, A