Here you will find helpful information including:
programming information and
ideas for extra practice.
The following is a list of Supplemental Programs that may be used during the intervention period to best support your child's needs in the area of reading:
Road to the Code is designed to help kindergartners and first graders who are having difficulty with their early literacy skills. Road to the Code focuses on teaching phonemic awareness and letter sound correspondence. Developmentally sequenced, each lesson features three activities — Say-It-and-Move-It, Letter Name and Sound Instruction, and Phonological Awareness Practice — that give students repeated opportunities to practice and enhance their beginning reading and spelling abilities.
Road to Reading is a supplementary reading program for students in grades 1-4 picks up where Road to the Code leaves off. It includes 6 levels that increase in complexity and targets phonological awareness, new words, oral reading, and dictation.
Leveled Literacy Intervention The Fountas & Pinnell Leveled Literacy Intervention System (LLI) is a small-group, supplementary intervention program designed for young children who struggle with reading and writing.
Fundations is a program that develops phonemic awareness through tapping out of sounds to breaking apart blends, digraphs and closed sounds in words.
Websites related to Language Arts Activities
- rif.org– (Reading is Fundamental) this is a nonprofit organization that promotes children’s literacy
- starfall.com– teaches comprehension and phonics, contains exciting interactive books and phonics games
- phonicsworld.com– worksheets and games for children in grades 1-6
- bookadventure.com– helps find a book that is just right for you
- sadlier-oxford.com/phonics/student.cfm- use your knowledge of letters, sounds and words as you try out games and activities
- readwritethink.org– miscellaneous language arts-based activities
- http://www.readkiddoread.com/home- helps children choose popular books that might be a good fit
- http://bookwizard.scholastic.com/tbw/homePage.do - helps children choose popular books, each suggested book has a short summary
(Other great sites…)
(The sites below contain many helpful activities in various academic areas, including language arts.)