• Transitioning Your Student from High School

    Attached are some articles and websites that may be useful to you and your child as he or she prepares for life after high school. If you have any questions, please contact the special education office at (215) 944-1164.

    Future Sign

    "There is nothing like a dream to create a future" ~ Victor Hugo
    General Information

    What Families Need to Know
    Moving On Directory of Transition Resources: This directory of transition resources is generated by the Bucks County Intermediate Unit. The directory offers a wide range of resources for individuals with disabilities who want to build their strengths and abilities. The directory lists services, agencies, organizations, and businesses that can guide an adult with disabilities in areas of education, job training, independent living,  social skills, and more. The entire directory can be found at http://www3.bucksiu.org/movingon
    Pennsylvania Secondary Transition Guide:  This website is designed to be a central information hub for youth and families navigating the transition from secondary education to adult life. The website is organized by secondary transition topics that cover key areas, including post-secondary education and training, employment and community living.  Information on the website is designed to highlight important subjects and activities based on a student's age. The website links to other Pennsylvania agencies and departments that support secondary transition. Materials for youth and families are added to the web portal frequently, so be sure to add the website to your favorites and return to the site often! For more information, go to  www.secondarytransition.org
    Selective Service: The law requires virtually all male U.S. citizens (regardless of where they live), and male immigrants living in the U.S. (permanent resident aliens), to register within 30 days of their 18th birthday. For more information on selective service or to register online, go to http://www.sss.gov 
    Social Security: To find out if your child qualifies to receive social security disability benefits and information on how to apply, go to http://www.ssa.gov
    Voter Registration and Voting Rights: Find details on how to register to vote and rights of voters with disabilities at http://www.votes.pa.com

    Children and Adults with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (CHADD): The organization provides support to parents of a child with AD/HD and adults with AD/HD. Find articles, conferences, and local chapters at http://www.chadd.org

    Vocational/Career Training and Independent Living
    Pennsylvania Career Guide offers a way to investigate over 200 occupations. The guide has information about job skills,  future job outlooks, average earnings and more. The state publication is a resource to help you choose a career path that is right for you. You can find the career guide at http://www.dli.state.pa.us
    Middle Bucks Institute of Technology offers various technical training programs to high school students and adults. For more information, check out their website or contact your child's guidance counselor.  http://www.mbit.org

    The Office of Vocational Rehabilitation (OVR) is now part of The Commonwealth Workforce Development System. They can assist individuals with disabilities in accessing services needed to be an independent adult. For more information, go to their website, click Vocational Rehabilitation, then Programs and Services. https://www.cwds.state.pa.us

    Bucks County Dept. of Mental Health/Mental Retardation: The Dept. of MH/MR offers  services to individuals with mental illness or mental retardation to support them as active community members. For more information, check their website at
    JobTips is a free program designed to help individuals with Austism Spectrum Disorder and other learning differences explore career interests, seek and obtain employment, and successfully maintain employment. JobTIPS addresses the social and behavioral differences that might make identifying, obtaining, and keeping a job more difficult for you. For more information and resources, go to their website at http://www.do2learn.com/JobTIPS/index.html

    Post-Secondary Education
    Colleges with Programs for Students with Learning Disabilities This document lists colleges around the country that offer programs for students with learning disabilities. Colleges with programs for students with learning disabilities
    Pennsylvania's 14 State Colleges provide accommodations to students with disabilities. For more information, click on the link, then onto the website's attachment.   http://www.passhe.edu/executive/academic/diversity/Pages/disabilities.aspx

    College Life: Find out what to expect about living college life with a disability. For video clips, activities, information, and additional resources that can help students get a head start in planning for college, check http://going-to-college.org

    College Visit Checklist: Interested in a college? Check out what should do to prepare for a college visit. Print out this handy checklist to help you get organized Campus Vist Checklist

    Financial Aid: To learn more about financial aid and  paying for your college education and to complete a FASFA form online, go to http://www.pheaa.org

    Fastweb is a tool to help students find financial aid and scholarships for college. Go to http://www.fastweb.com to create a user account and begin your search for financial aid.