Welcome to first grade! We are glad that you are in our class and can’t wait to get to know you. We hope you are enjoying your summer and are excited about a new school year in 1st grade. There are so many new things you will learn and so many fun things planned for us to do.
You are invited to a Meet & Greet on Thursday, August 29. Between 3:00-3:45 you can stop by our room (E-18) for a few minutes to look around, meet us, and see some of your classmates. You are welcome to bring your supplies with you (the requested list can be found on the first grade website or our class website). Make sure to label your folders, composition book, lunchbox, schoolbag, and coat with your name. If you ordered your supplies through the PTO service, they will be ready for you to pick up in the front hall. If you ordered a kit, we will have markers in the room you can use to label your items or you can take your kit home and bring it back on the first day.
We are looking forward to our first day of school on Tuesday, September 3rd. You will go straight to our room each morning when you arrive at school. Teachers will be in the hall to help you find your way if you need it. Please pack a healthy snack every day. Also, please ask your parents to save the date of September 3rd at 7:00 for Back to School Night, a time when teachers will share many more details about first grade with parents. Before school starts, feel free to browse our class webpage. You can also browse the First Grade webpage, Math Moments, and other CRSD pages (such as find menus on the cafeteria link or special dates on the PTO site). Soon you will get login information for our math and reading programs.
We are very excited to start our journey in 1st grade together. We look forward to a terrific year. We hope you enjoy the rest of your summer. Below are 7 challenges you can work on before school starts. We’ll see you in our room on September 3rd if you can’t make it to Meet & Greet.
Your new teachers,
Mrs. McNamara and Miss Watson (co-teacher)
Here are seven challenges you could work on before school starts.
(1) Find out how you are getting home from school. Are you a bus rider, a walker, or a Champion? Do you go home the same way everyday? On the first day I will make a chart of this information.
(2) Adjust your routine from your summer schedule to your school schedule. Try going to bed and getting up at the time you think you will during the school year. Also try having lunch and snack at the times we will be eating this year. We will be having snack at 9:55 am and lunch at 12:15 pm. I have recently switched over to my school routine too.
(3) Practice opening the containers that will be packed in your lunch box.
(4) Practice printing your name neatly. You will soon be writing it on the top of all of your papers.
(5) Practice printing the capital and lower case letters.
(6) Memorize your CR Student ID number. If you went to school in Council Rock last year, it is the same number you had in kindergarten. If you don't know what it is, feel free to ask me for it. This number will be used if your parents set up a lunch account with the cafeteria. We will also use it to log in to Chromebooks and the First in Math program.
(7) Practice tying your shoes. If you already know how to do this, you can think of how you can help a classmate learn to do it too.