SCHOOL BOARD MEETING PUBLIC COMMENT PROTOCOL
Public Comment Protocol for Board Meetings: Effective January 7, 2021
Public Comment may email their comments/questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Emailed comments will go directly to the entire Board of School Directors and the Superintendent, and will be attached to the Board meeting minutes; as such, all written Public Comment submissions will be available for review by members of the public. Emailed comments will not be read aloud as part of the Public Comment portion of the Board Meeting.
Committee meeting public comment will be received by the Board via email and will not be read aloud at the committee meeting.
When the pandemic restrictions are lifted, Public Comment will return to normal.
Public Comment Protocol
1. Public Comment will move from two sessions to one session per Board meeting.
2. Time allotted for Public Comment will increase from 30 minutes to 60 minutes.
3. Anyone who wishes to speak must sign up, in person, at the Chancellor Center PRIOR to the start of the Board meeting. When the last registered person speaks, Public Comment will be finished for that meeting. Anyone who shows up late will have to wait until the next Board meeting.
4. For parking, the large lot on the left-hand side of the building (if facing the building from Chancellor Street) is to be used by the public.
5. Overview of process:
Public will come to the Chancellor Center and register with security, indicating that they wish to speak during Public Comment. They will then be asked to either wait in their vehicle, or stand outside the building, maintaining a safe social distance from others. When their turn is close, they will be notified to come to the door. They will then be escorted inside and put in the queue. When it is their turn to speak, they will be allowed into the Boardroom, following the designated route to the public microphone. They will be given three minutes to speak. After they have finished speaking, they will leave the building.
6. The process for the public will be as follows:
A. Public will arrive PRIOR to the scheduled start of the Board meeting - which is 7:00 PM.
B. Public will park in the large lot and enter the building through the entrance on that side. All entrances will be locked, and staff will provide access to the building.
C. Staff will be available to register those wishing to make Public Comment no earlier than 6:30 PM.
D. Public will register with staff – they will sign in with their name, municipality of residence, and cell phone number. The cell phone number is used to notify them when it is their turn.
E. When it is their turn, they will be allowed in the building. There will be a queue of two to three speakers at any given time.
F. When it is their turn to speak, they will approach the microphone, state their name and address (municipality of residence), and make their comment. They will have THREE minutes to speak.
G. When they are finished, they will be escorted out of the building through the door they entered.