- Council Rock School District
CR INCLEMENT WEATHER NOTIFICATION METHODS AND PROCEDURES
With the winter season almost upon us, please take a moment to review Council Rock School District's inclement weather notification methods and procedures.
INCLEMENT WEATHER NOTIFICATION METHODS
Blackboard.Comm Mass Email
Council Rock Mobile App Push Notification
Council Rock Website Pop Up Message
Council Rock Official Facebook Page:
(Like /Follow us @CouncilRockSchoolDistrict)
Council Rock Official Twitter Feed
(Follow us @CouncilRockSD)
Television Notification: ABC 6, CBS 3, NBC 10 alerts and KYW News Radio
INCLEMENT WEATHER PROCEDURES
The District’s decision to open or close schools in bad weather has a big impact on our families. Our top priority is the safety of our students. Below, please find a list of helpful information regarding Council Rock School District’s inclement weather procedures and notification system.
How is the decision made? The decision to open, close, or delay schools in bad weather is based on careful analysis of all relevant factors, such as:
- Information on road conditions from transportation staff and other officials. We must give careful consideration to the most dangerous roads in the District. Even if your street looks clear, travel elsewhere in the District may be dangerous.
- Amount of snow and ice accumulated.
- Precipitation timeframe.
- Building conditions, such as whether we have electricity and heat.
- Parking lot conditions.
- Temperature and wind chill. Please remember that some of our students walk to school and some must wait outside for the bus.
- Weather predictions. We prefer not making decisions based on weather predictions, which are not always accurate. But sometimes this is unavoidable.
- What other school districts are doing. We also share information with other local districts and check whether they are opening or closing.
Who makes the decision? The Superintendent of Schools makes the final decision, based on the above factors and recommendations from the Director of Facilities, Supervisor of Transportation, and local authorities.
When is the decision made? The decision is normally made as soon as possible so we can communicate the news effectively. Every effort is made to announce a closing in a timely fashion.
Two-Hour Delay: The District will sometimes utilize a two-hour delay to allow additional time for road crews to complete their work. In the case of a two-hour delay, buses will run regular routes two hours later. AM Kindergarten is CANCELLED.
Early Dismissal: Parents/Guardians, please consider making contingency plans with neighbors, friends, or relatives to assure that your child has adult supervision and a place to go in case of early dismissals due to inclement weather, especially in the case of young children. Please talk with them about these possibilities and “practice” what they are to do.